Public Talk on Friday, November 10, 2017
Finding Our Compassionate Heart
The teachings of the Buddha tell us that each one of us has the potential to awaken to our basic nature of compassion, wisdom, and goodness. But in difficult times, these qualities can seem too distant and unreachable. How can we practice our compassionate heart and find the courage to love in the midst of a conflicted world?
Lama Lodro Lhamo will share teachings on the Bodhisattva Way, a method of meditation and living that help us understand others and cultivate compassion for ourselves and others.
Weekend Teaching on Saturday, November 11th and Sunday, November 12th
The Blessing of Compassion, Health and Life: The Mantra and Meditation of White Tara
Mantra practice is an important method of meditation in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. The Buddha taught that all beings have Buddha Nature – a mind that can become awakened to its own inner wisdom and compassion – and meditating on the forms and mantras of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas helps us develop our wise and compassionate heart.
The bodhisattva Tara, the feminine aspect of compassion, lived long ago and vowed that she would only ever appear in the form of a woman to benefit suffering beings. Her vow makes her an ideal role model for both men and women today, as we struggle to find our compassionate heart in a sometimes tumultuous and conflicted world.
Learning her mantra and visualization helps us cultivate our inborn wisdom and compassion, as well as our health and vitality, as her practice has long been associated with helping those suffering from illnesses and obstacles.
Lama Lodro Lhamo, women’s retreat master at the Karme Ling Three-Year Retreat Center, is an expert in Tara practice and will share her wisdom and knowledge about White Tara and her meditation practice.
Copies of the book, “The Wish-Fulfilling Wheel: The Practice of White Tara” by Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche, will be available for purchase during the weekend.
- Friday Night Public Talk Only – Member $7.00 | Non-Member $7.00
- Full Weekend including Public Talk – Member $60.00 | Non-Member $75.00
- Individual Sessions – Member $20.00 | Non-Member $25.00
- Sponsor $125.00 or higher (includes Full Weekend and Public Talk)
- Session 1: Friday, Nov 10 7:00 pm
- Open Meditation: Saturday, Nov 11 10:00 am to 10:30 am
- Session 2: Saturday, Nov 11 10:30 am to Noon
- Session 3: Saturday, Nov 11 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Open Meditation: Sunday, Nov 12 10:00 am to 10:30 am
- Session 4: Sunday, Nov 12 10:30 am to Noon
- Session 5: Sunday, Nov 12 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
Friday and Saturday schedule will take place @
First Community Church | Brownlee Hall
1320 Cambridge Blvd, Columbus, OH 43212
Sunday schedule will take place @
Tifereth Israel | Lower Social Hall
1354 E Broad St, Columbus, OH 43205